THE SECRET OF SEAWEED CULTURE
Japanese iodine intake from edible seaweeds is amongst the highest in the world. The Japanese are considered one of the world’s longest living people with an extraordinarily low rate of certain types of cancer. What is the secret! In Japan seaweed has been used as a staple item of diet since prehistoric times. Until now this truth has been still in research in America. Six among 21 species are used in daily cookery. Among them are the three most common-Nori, Kombu and Wakame. All of them can be used as a wrap for sushi and onigiri or garnish and flavoring in noodle preparations and soups. Edible seaweed has been the culture in this country.
Wakame and komu are of brown seaweed having an anti-carcinogen property. This constituent is called fucoidan. It effectively activated a process of natural cell death referred to as apoptosis, among leukemia, lymphoma, stomach and colorectal tumor cells. Fucoidan has also been found to build up the immune system and regulate the body’s cholesterol levels. Based on the study of the Hashemite University in Jordan at the AACR Dead Sea International Conference on Advances in Cancer Research, when the laboratory technicians administered the fucoidan enzyme to a petri dish containing cancer cells; the results were complete destruction of all cancer cells within three days.
Much of the raw material for this pyropia or common laver production is harvested from natural beds but some artificial propagation is practiced and has been for about 300 years. They have built bundles of twigs in estuaries in which spores grew and mature plants were harvested. Nori growers nowadays can control the species of marine algae to produce as much as they need. It can be regarded to be the advanced agriculture in the world.
DEFINE THE SHADES OF MEANING AMONGST SYNONYMS; THEN DO THE TEST
1. Edible, cosmetible, palatable, appetizing, esculent
– fit to be eaten
– fit to be digested
– pleasant in taste
– stimulating in taste
– fit to be eaten in vegetable
- Sizzling bacon makes the _________ aroma over the kitchen.
- Some of ____________ wild mushrooms resemble poisonous varieties.
- Different types of plants can be ___________ for cattle.
- Shrubs are strange but have _____________berries.
- These dishes of meat are palatable to local people.
ANSWERS: 1. appetizing 2. esculent 3. cosmetible 4. edible 5. palatable
2. Nutritive, nutritious, toothsome, wholesome
– nourishing a living being
– efficient as food
– attracting to taste
– promoting health, mind, spirit
- How to have good ___________food should be taught in high school.
- Hunger made the boy incessantly look at the this ____________pie.
- ____________ value can’t be seen in junk food.
- _____________exercise is just a simple jog in the park early morning.
ANSWERS: 1. nutritious 2. toothsome 3. nutritive 4. wholesome
3. Garnish, beautify, embellish, prettify
– decorate food
– grow beautiful
– make more appealing with details
– make superficially attractive
- ______________ life comes from just a good idea in daily living.
- These orange slices ___________salad prettily.
- Simple mind needs no _______________ details to look smarter.
- Newspapers are used to not only ___________ the truth but also destroy people’s confidence.
ANSWERS: 1. beautify 2. garnish 3. prettify 4. embellish
4. Tumor, sarcoma, carcinoma, neoplasm
– abnormal growth without inflammation
– abnormal growth in tissue
– cancer in the lining of an organ
– rapid growth of cancer
- Tissue _________shows an uncontrolled growth in body.
- No cell ____________was found in this patient.
- The cells of this _____________may undergo fatty degradation.
- Blood vessels, nerves, bones, muscles, deep skin tissues, and cartilage can cause ___________________.
ANSWERS: 1. tumor 2. carcinoma 3. neoplasm 4. sarcoma
5. Immune, impervious, insusceptible, unsusceptible
– resistant to infection
– not allowing to pass through
– not likely to be affected
– not likely to be harmed
- ______________layers of clay have been of basaltic property.
- He was known to have ______________attitude to flattery.
- Nothing can be _______________ to mankind’s mind.
- These plants are naturally _______________ to hepatitis B.
ANSWERS: 1. impervious 2. insusceptible 3. unsusceptible 4. immune
6. Impassive, impassible, insensitive, insensible
– not showing emotion
– incapable of showing pain
– showing no concern on others’feeling
– having no mental effect
- ______________passersby ignored his performance.
- The kid can sleep in an ___________way to the noise.
- Nothing can live without ___________feeling excepting conscience.
- ______________persons can do what others can’t do.
ANSWERS: 1. impassive 2. insensible 3. impassible 4. insensitive
7. Propagation, promulgation, proliferation, procreatiom
– spreading in higher numbers
– making known by declaration
– spreading in rapidly higher numbers
– producing offspring
- Nuclear ___________ was inspired by hidden doctrines in mass media.
- Many indoctrinated _______________ have been detected in this journal of philosophy.
- A good idea has power of __________________.
- Living makes life into _______________not by sex but spirit.
ANSWERS: 1. proligeration 2. promulgation 3. propagation 4. procreation